Operational understanding of networks and particularly different network layers is a must. A solid understanding of security algorithms, firewalls, and databases is desirable. Verbal and written proficiency goes a long way in the individual’s professional career.
In this course, learners explore key tasks needed to become a Linux administrator. Upon successful completion of this course learners will be prepared to take the Red Hat Certified SystemAdministrator (RHCSA) exam. In this course, students examine key considerations in migrating to cloud computing.
Day in the Life of a Security Specialist
Added certifications can help these professionals develop specialized skills and advance their careers. A large part of an IT department’s responsibilities is penetration testing. Organizations conduct attacks on their own infrastructure to find weaknesses before hackers do. Additionally, cybersecurity specialists are also responsible for investigating attacks. They report attacks to law enforcement and work with authorities to identify the perpetrators.
Many large corporations are also setting up their own cybersecurity taskforces and are increasingly hiring cybersecurity specialists. Hope this article was able to give you a better understanding on how to become a cyber security specialist. If you are looking to launch your career as a cybersecurity professional, we would highly recommend you to check Simplilearn’s Advanced Executive Program in Cybersecurity in collaboration with IIIT Bangalore. This course can help you gain the right skills and kickstart your career as a professional cybersecurity expert. A cybersecurity specialist in a company is the person responsible for securing and protecting the business data of the organization from any cyber threats.
Career as a Cybersecurity Specialist
Practical skills are critical, and some academic programs risk being too theoretical. Increasingly, though, universities are integrating either industry certification or internships into their programs. But be careful not to pick an academic program just for its brand name; the school should have some cybersecurity specialist courses level of specialization in cybersecurity. “Security has just gotten more and more important every single year and there is so much work to be done,” says Kunal Anand, CTO of Imperva, a cybersecurity company. Though cybersecurity is a relatively new field, it is rising in popularity and demand.
- This means that devices like mobiles and tablets carrying critical business data are vulnerable to cyberattacks.
- Cybercrimes are punishable by law, and those who are skilled in identifying the culprits are highly valued in the IT security industry.
- A computer science degree provides a foundation in information technology (IT), including understanding TCP/IP protocols that are at the core of all networking.
- Some organizations employ these specialists in entry-level roles, allowing them to develop on-the-job experience.
- The need for security specialists rose to protect business networks from evolving cyberthreats.